The Blue Jay


“Still waiting,” she sighed.  The lake was now soft, and the sky drunk in blue haze. She had been sitting on the edge of the mattress for quite some time, being awakened that morning by a passing blue jay. Simply sitting and waiting to see the sun rise over the eastern pines.
 
Her decision to sleep above the boathouse to clear her thoughts failed. She spent much of the evening thinking, spending too much energy in seeking meaning. She sat alone, but was slightly comforted by the moon’s company. Just slightly, for at times she did not like the moon at all. It was always content, and always smiled.
 
Still looking for answers that morning, but finding it difficult to concentrate. The birch tree leaves rustled and seemed to be encouraging her outside. The morning lagoon breeze was cold on her skin, but she remained seated. Interrupting her thoughts, a woodpecker worked on the rotten willow tree that rhythmically scraped the old pine roof with each breeze. She could no longer focus, and threw on some clothing and exited the boathouse. She walked quickly over the damp grass and sand, down to the dock and stepped into the cool lake water. Young fish immediately started to circle her feet. She took a deep, long breath. “I feel relaxed.” In a few moments, the sun began to rise, and she managed to smile. “Seemingly simple,” she thought, “Why did I not feel this before?"
 
“I am not alone. I am part of this all. Not a single body, but part of everything alive around me. I feel the rapture of being alive, and do not care if I have an answer. I am not concerned. I have the morning sun and the blue jay's song above me.”

No comments: